Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"OHHhhh, I get it!"

There are no words more beautiful to a teacher's ears than these. In my 4th Grade class, we've been studying the area and perimeter of rectangles. Many students are having a hard time keeping these two straight, and I have had moments where I felt like a failure as a teacher.

Today we did a very hands-on activity to find the area and perimeter of some rectangular shapes. This was a project morphed from a project my neighboring teacher did and some thoughts Zac had. Well, as we began to do the project, I heard one girl who was really struggling with the concept say "Ohhhhhhh, I get it!" Her face showed that the light bulb truly did click on for her. What a joy to see that! I felt inspired to keep giving it my all, and to try new and different things so that more light bulbs would click on.

No comments:

Post a Comment