Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Bedtime Check

I'm sure she'll be fine.  I don't have to check on her each night before I go to bed...but I do.  After I have my pj's on and I've brushed my teeth, I sloooowly turn her door handle, side-step all the creaky floor boards, peer down at her by the light of my cell phone and watch intently to see her tummy rise and fall.  Only then can I crawl into bed myself and rest.

This usually goes off with out a hitch.  Usually.  It did NOT go well last Wednesday night.

Zac and I went in together and it was hard to tell if she was breathing so Zac put his hand on her tummy to check.  BIG MISTAKE!  She shifted and we immediately stepped away from the crib and stood straight and still, not breathing.  Zac pressed his cell phone against his chest so no light would show and we prayed that she wouldn't realize we were in there.  Then, Zac LEFT the room with a quick run, leaving me standing like a statue all by myself!  She stirred some more and I was trapped!  Should I run out, she would surely wail; yet if I stayed...how long would I have to stay?

I finally decided to run out of there too, and in doing so made the little lady angrier.  Oooooh, was she mad!  We laid in our own bed, still as could be, and hoped she would stop crying.  She didn't.  Eventually Zac went back in and rubbed her back and reassured her that she was okay.  The minute he stepped away from her crib she began wailing again.  He tried a little bit of everything, but each time he stepped away she would cry.  Finally he returned to our room while she continued wailing.  It seemed there wasn't a great solution.

Certainly she would stop crying, right?  It would just be a matter of minutes, right?  She does this when she falls asleep at the beginning of the evenings, so what's different about now...right?

After 20 minutes of angry cries, Zac took pity on her again and went back in.  Just in case you think that I'm not pulling my fair share around here, I'd like to mention that he had been gone all day for a band gig and had returned home late that evening hyped up on Mountain Dew.  So not only did he miss Feven and want to be with her, but he was also heavily caffeinated.  :)

The details after that are foggy for me, but I do know that she didn't fall asleep until at least an hour and a half after we went in to "check on her."  Such good intentions.  Such little sleep for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment