Friday, January 6, 2012

Epiphany...What REALLY Happened?

9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

I've never questioned how this all went down until this morning.  I was reading an Epiphany devotional and my mind started to wander.  Did the wise men really just follow the star, go into the house, and give Jesus gifts?  What if it was more like this...

Wise Man 1 (WM1): Are we almost there? I'd really like to stop and use the bathroom before we get there.

WM2: I think we're almost there, the star seems to be slowing down now.

WM3: I'd rather we just go there first and use their bathroom.  I'm anxious to see the new king.

WM1: Fine, let's just go there first.

The star stops moving and they slow to a stop as well.

WM2: (In disbelief) - Could this be it?

WM1: (Stroking his beard) - I don't know, it doesn't seem very extraordinary.  I doubt a king would be here.

WM3: (hands on hips) - The star stopped here, this is obviously it.  Let's go in, c'mon.  We didn't come all this way to stand outside.

WM1: (hand on forehead, runs hand through hair) - I don't know, we're going to look like idiots if we barge into this house and it's not the right one.  What are we going to do?  Say, "Whoops, sorry" and then take our treasures back outside and knock on the neighbor's house?

WM2: (walking around) - It seems that the star's light is more on this house than any others nearby.  I'm sure it's the one.  I'll knock.

Door opens before he can knock.  Teenage girl appears - "I heard some commotion.  Is everything okay?"

WM1: (under his breath to WM3) - I told you this wasn't it.  How are we going to get out of this one?



Isn't that fun to imagine what might have happened?  Did the three wise men know immediately that this was it?  How do you introduce yourself to a complete stranger and explain why you're on their doorstep?  I love thinking about all that is not written in the Bible, and imagining how these interactions went.  All that is written is that they came to the house, saw Jesus and Mary, and then bowed down to worship.  I would have enjoyed being there and seeing that moment unfold in its entirety!

Happy Epiphany!  Today the three kings have come to welcome and worship the King of Heaven and Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment