Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Community of Believers

I just got home from spending the evening with our house group from church. There's about 20 of us that get together every week at a church member's house to snack, chat, and learn about the Bible together. Tonight we talked about Acts Chapter 2, specifically Peter's perspective on Jesus and the Holy Spirit and also about what it looks like to be in a community of believers.

The topic of community is something that always tends to strike a chord in my heart. I've enjoyed my stints of living in close community with others both at college and while I traveled with Youth Encounter. Sometimes, though, it's hard to find that in the present. I am blessed with many friends, but we all live all over the place. My parents always give me a hard time because whenever they ask how far away from me a particular person or place is, I always say "20 minutes."

Creating community isn't always easy, but I am finding success. Small group tonight was one example of that. I'm getting to know a smaller group of people well, and allow my life to intersect with theirs.

Listen to what Acts 2:44-47 says about the community of believer's shortly after Jesus' death:

44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (from Biblegateway.com, NIV 2011)

When you read this passage, what areas stand out to you as things you are doing well right now? Which pieces do you crave more of? What can you do to move forward and recreate this kind of community today?

No comments:

Post a Comment