Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lean, Mean, Zumba Machine

I started a Zumba class last night through our local Community Education program. In case you haven't experienced Zumba yet, it's a Latin-inspired exercise class which is very fast-paced. After our first song last night, a lady beside me looked over at me and said, "This is tough for a 65-year-old!" Through the sweat dripping down my face I looked over at her and said between breaths, "It's tough for a 30-year-old too!"

Prior to going last night, I was feeling nervous about the whole situation. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do the moves and that I'd look silly in front of everyone else. I was feeling so insecure and self-conscious!

I know now that it's so fast-paced you don't have time to look at anyone else! My eyes were glued to the instructor the entire time, and I couldn't even tell you who was in my row!

I'm pretty sure I had a smile on my face the entire evening which meant different things at different times. Sometimes it meant, "This is so fun!" Sometimes it meant, "Oh my goodness! My body will never be able to move like that!" Other times it meant, "Whoops! I am not doing what the instructor is doing at all! Silly Amber!"

Most rewarding about the night were the times when my steps were on-beat and I felt the music.

When I walked out of the building, sweat was dripping down my face and my water bottle was drained empty, but I was already looking forward to next week's class!

No comments:

Post a Comment