Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Lesson Courtesy of the Baby Gate

We finally gave in and got a baby gate.  It was long-overdue.  Feven loves to be around me, and when I'm working to prepare a meal in the kitchen she's at my heels, clinging to my legs, reaching for things on the counters, or opening cabinets she knows she's not supposed to.  It's not safe for her, so we got a gate to keep her in the nearby living room while I'm working in the kitchen.

We installed it and marveled at the freedom this would bring us.  She looked at it and realized the barrier it was between her and mom.

My first time preparing a meal with her safely in the living room was not much fun for either of us.  She whined and cried the entire time.  I tried to get her to play with her puzzle, legos, dolls, books, school bus, soft blocks, or any of the numerous toys that were in there.  She would have none of it.  The one thing she wanted was to be near me, and she was upset that she couldn't have that.

How often is my life like that?  I am surrounded by great things, but all I can focus on is the one thing I don't have. 

Dear Lord, give me the freedom to see all the blessings around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment