Monday, February 7, 2011

Kindergarten

Last week I taught in Kindergarten. I forget how crazy and honest and funny those kids can be.

Literally two minutes after one girl walked in the door I heard "You're my FAVORITE teacher ever!" I'm pretty sure I just asked her what her name was and after that said, "It's nice to meet you, Nicole."

Apparently, greeting children really gives you an in. Another girl, shortly after she walked in and was greeted, gave me a gift. I'm not sure what it was. It seemed like a doll slipper or a mitten. I don't know if she really knew what it was either, but I received it then "absent-mindedly" set it down in the classroom and "forgot" to take it with me when I left. I'm pretty sure her mom would be upset if this girl gave me that doll slipper/mitten!

Over the course of the morning I sent about 10 kids to the nurse for tummy aches, sore throats, eyes that "felt funny," hurt noses, and cough drops. Let me follow up to say that these 10 were not the only ones who asked. I refrained from sending AT LEAST that many more who asked. Poor nurse. I tried to get them to stay in the classroom, but they were so persistent. It reminds me of the story of the persistent widow in the Bible.

My favorite moment, though, came as we were getting all of our outside gear on. Imagine 19 5-year-olds trying to get hats, mittens, snow pants, boots, and jackets on. One girl's snowpants zipper broke and my fingers were getting raw trying to fix it. One girl needed me to tie her scarf, two more zip-ups, and one girl who needed my help getting everything on. Meanwhile, someone kicked someone in the privates, one girl was dancing around, one kid was just staring off into space, and I was trying to prompt them all along so they could get out to recess before recess was over! In the midst of this circus, a sweet, wide-eyed blond kid comes up to me and says, "Mrs. Harder, I have something awful to tell you."

Oh geez. What in the world could it be now?!? Did child Y kick yet another person in the privates? Did this one pee his pants? Oh dear. I don't know if I can handle awful.

"Mrs. Harder, I think Ellie wants to marry me."

There it was. his "something awful." I tried not to chuckle, but looked at him and somberly said, "I think you're a little young for that."

He replied, "I think so too."

You just never know what you're going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment