Friday, May 6, 2011

Three Hugs and a Rock

Last week I found out that the media center assistant at my favorite school was going to be leaving. I grieved with the staff at that school because she was absolutely amazing at her job. I wondered what they would do in her absence and how they would finish out the school year.

Then a light bulb went on in my head! I wondered if I could fill in for her to finish out the school year...


Tuesday was my first day helping out in the library! Part of my duties include supervising students as they walk in from the buses. As I stood outside that first morning to remind kids to walk, to look out for any kids who stumbled, etc., I was surprised to hear a chorus of "Hey Mrs. Harder!" So many students greeted me as they walked in! If I had been having a bad day before that, I certainly wasn't now!

Some of the students whose classrooms I have subbed in before greeted me with hugs, and one student even opened my hand to place a small, smooth rock in my palm. I don't know what I did to receive that special gift from him!

Can you imagine what a happy place the world would be if each person got to start their day out that way? I hope I can give the kids such a warm welcome to school in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment