Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Gentle, Convicting Reminder

Since the beginning of the new year, I've been trying to devote more time to studying the Bible.  I used to read the Bible most everyday, but only for a short duration of time each day.  After a conversation with a friend over Christmas, I was inspired to dive in more.  She said that her new understanding of quiet time is showing up and not leaving until you've understood something in a new way, felt God moving in your life, etc.

That thought was new to me - that perhaps I can have really good quiet time (defined by a new revelation, strong conviction, or feeling of closeness to God) EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Maybe it isn't just meant to be here and there, as God works his way into my few minutes a day, but maybe I'm supposed to show up and wait for Him to show up too.

So each day during naptime I bring my quiet time basket to the kitchen table.  I take out my Bible, journal, and gratitude journal, and I wait to see what happens.

There hasn't been a day where I've regretted that time I've spent with God.

But the silliest thing is, it's so hard for me to get to the kitchen table some days!  I find a sense of urgency to check my email, Facebook, or cross SOMETHING off the to-do list, for heaven's sake! before I sit down and open my Bible.

My latest excuse for dawdling has been exhaustion.  It has been a tiring stretch of parenting, and Zac has been gone a bit too so I've been single-parenting it.  When Feven's naptime comes around, I find myself saying in my head, "I really need to take care of myself so I can be my best self for her.  I should read a book for fun or have a little downtime this naptime.  Maybe I should take a nap myself so I'm energized and ready to go when she is."

Just today at the kitchen sink I found myself thinking along these same lines.  And from the back of my mind I remembered Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

I need to go to God for my restoration.  Only he can refresh me and renew me in the ways I need.  And while I think that I know those ways, he knows me infinitely better than I know myself.  Sometimes He may lead me to my bed to take a nap - it's true - but if I don't go to Him first, I'll never know what HE is intending for me that day.

So it is with hopeful steps today that I walk to my quiet time basket, grab the braided wicker handle, and make my way to the kitchen table again.  I am looking forward to seeing how He will refresh this weary soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment