Monday, August 1, 2011

New Sunday Tradition

Have you ever noticed how peaceful Sunday mornings are? Here in the city, I think Sunday mornings - early in the morning - have to be one of the quietest times all week.

Two weeks ago, I persuaded Zac to go on a walk with me before church. To entice him to walk with me, I made us a smoothie. Yum! We put our smoothies in our reusable coffee mugs, and set out for a stroll around the neighborhood.

The sun was still fresh in the sky, and puffy white clouds dotted the crisp blue. It was so quiet that I felt like I was walking around my hometown; a town of 1,300 people. All I could hear was the birds chirping in the trees and our footsteps on the road.

We had so much to talk about, and conversation flowed freely between us. Every now and then a neighbor's flower garden made me stop and enjoy the spray of colors.

That walk was a wonderful way to set the tone for the day. As I walked, I dreamed about having this be a special tradition to continue throughout the years. I could certainly see us pushing a stroller through the neighborhood on future Sunday mornings, or taking our kids to a nearby park for a hike when they grow older.

This past Sunday, we were visiting Zac's parents in southwestern Minnesota. We ended up going on another Sunday morning walk, only this time it was on a crunchy gravel road with walls of dancing cornstalks on either side of us. A friendly puppy careened from a neighboring farmyard and trotted alongside us for the majority of our walk. He would run up ahead of us, look to see if we were coming, and then run some more.

What another great Sunday morning walk. What will next Sunday hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment