Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Great Is Thy Faithfulness Part 2

On Monday I shared the song "Great Is Thy Faithfulness." I'd like to write further on that hymn today.

I've recently begun a study on Ruth, and the theme of that devotional is Trusting in God's Provision. The line in the hymn, "All I have needed thy hand hath provided" speaks to me on this exact topic. Everything I have ever needed, God has provided for me. And, like a good parent, God doesn't give me everything I want; rather, He gives me everything I need.

You don't have to be a parent to know that it's wise to give your kids a sandwich for lunch instead of a gallon of ice cream. Even if the child wants the ice cream, you do what's in the child's best interest and give them the sandwich.

To a greater extent, throughout my whole life God has given me what I needed. He has not always given me what I've prayed for, nor has He answered my prayers in the ways I thought He would, but He has always given me everything I needed. He has been faithful in meeting my every need, and when it comes down to it, I would rather have that than a heavenly father who gives me everything I think I want.

The funny thing about God's provision, though, is how easily I forget His goodness. When I'm walking through tough times, it's hard for me to believe He's looking out for me. It's only when I look back and recognize His provision in my life time and time again that my heart finds peace in the present, and I have hope for the future knowing He's looking out for my every need.



Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

No comments:

Post a Comment