Thursday, January 13, 2011

Universal Letter Writing Week - Family

I've been enjoying this week, haven't you? I received a very special note from the friend I referred to in Sunday's blog. She told me how much our friendship means to her and what an honor it is to go through life's different chapters together. It was so well-written; definitely a keeper!

I spent some time writing a note to my Grandpa today. He's been in a nursing home for quite a few years now, and I think at times it must feel so confining to him. His mind is sharp as ever, but his body has failed him. Writing notes to him is something small I can do to let him know I'm thinking about him, and that he's not alone.

Writing to my grandpa made me think about my family, and today I challenge you to write a note to a family member to let them know how much you appreciate them. If you can do a hand-written note, please do that. Those take more time and effort, and it will be a treat for the person on the receiving end. If you don't have the time or resources to send a hand-written note, try an email. Let's make sure to let our family members know we care about them.

If you're not sure what to write about, here are a few ideas:

-Write a note to your parent to share a favorite childhood memory
-Write a note to a sibling to let them know what you appreciate about them as you grow older
-Write a note to your child to let them know what you admire about them
-Write a note to your grandparent to let them know how much you appreciate them in your life
-Write a note offering forgiveness
-Write a note to apologize
-Write a note of encouragement to a family member going through a rough time
-Write a note to a family member celebrating an anniversary
-Write a note of congratulations

Pick up your pen...now go and get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment