Sunday, January 9, 2011

Universal Letter Writing Week

Allow me to be the first to wish you a happy Universal Letter Writing Week! I was overjoyed when I stumbled upon this little-known holiday last week. How have I missed it all these years?

I'm a note collector, and have been for years. I still have a special box with the notes my childhood friend and I passed to each other over the years in elementary and high school.

During a year of volunteering after college, my grandma and this particular friend were very diligent about writing to me each week. I savored those letters, especially when I was homesick in South America. I still have my most-treasured ones.

I save every note my husband writes to me, and melt when I read the collection of them that has spanned 7 years now.

I love letters. They are the first to be sought out and opened when the mail comes. I reread the special ones, and tuck away those that contain compliments and memories. I also love to write letters. There's something so relaxing about writing a hand-written letter to someone else. It feels good to seal that envelope and imagine the little letter finding it's way across the country to its intended destination, hopefully bringing a smile with it.

Universal Letter Writing Week. Beautiful. Will you celebrate with me this year? Think of one person you can write to today and go for it.

4 comments:

  1. Another cool idea to keep letter writing alive is The Things Unsaid Project, found at www.thingsunsaidproject.wordpress.com. Love this endeavor and think others in a letter writing frame of mind will find it interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very powerful website, Tina. There is such a great benefit to writing your thoughts and feelings out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Tina...I also like writing a love letter .Happy universal writing week to you too..Godbless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am a dedicated letter writer and love to see it promoted. Thanks!

    Jackie
    www.lettersandjournals.com

    ReplyDelete