Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Universal Letter Writing Week - Pen Pals

Did you have a pen pal growing up? My two longest-lasting pen pals were 2 family friends named Arianna and Sylvia.

Arianna was the daughter of my mom's high school friend. Her family lived on the East Coast, and we would write back and forth often throughout our childhood. She was a year or two older than me which made her really cool. Each year her family would come visit, and we would get to see each other for a few days. I remember my family visiting her family once in North Carolina. I was so excited to see the home of this friend I knew through letters and summer visits to Minnesota. I remember two distinct things: 1.) Mom made us stop to use gas station restrooms before we arrived so we wouldn't bombard them with bathroom requests the minute we got in the house and 2.) They picked up a special, very popular kind of donut for us called Krispy Kreme. It was our first time experiencing Krispy Kreme donuts!

Sylvia was the German cousin of my sister's friend. I'm not exactly sure how we got connected; perhaps while she was visiting our small hometown once. She and I were pen pals for quite a few years, and I always remember getting so excited when I saw one of those air mail envelopes in mom's stack of mail. I knew it was for me from Sylvia! Her English was very good, and she certainly got a lot of practice reading and writing English with all of the letters we traded back and forth!

Did you have a pen pal? What are your memories from your pen pal experience? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment